Today we went to an adoption seminar at Phoenix Children's Hospital. Unlike other adoption seminars we have attended, this was not on the process, but more on the after... Bonding, attachment, breastfeeding (yes it is possible), adoptive parent's experiences etc... We heard many stories, but our favorite speaker was the lady that had an open domestic adoption. Hearing her talk about the awkward first meeting with the birthmother and the relationship that grew, really hit home. She spoke about the birth, the signing of the papers and how emotional it was for all. We realized we have so much left to go through. We are so happy we have so much support out there. Thank you. We ran into a couple that we had met in our infertility support group. It was great to see that we are both on a new path to parenthood. We wish them luck in their journey to China!! We came home with a lot of reading material and fun gifts! Thank you Cristi, for telling us about this seminar!!
Next stop... Babies R Us... We bought the crib and dresser. They didn't have it in stock. It will be here within 10 days. I can't wait to put the room together. It is a mess now!
As we were in line buying the furniture, my phone started to ring... it was Marla. What a surprise. I was gonna call her today, but she called first! I had to give the phone to Gord as I was in the middle of the transaction. At first I thought "What is wrong??" But then I saw a smile on Gord's face as he spoke to her and knew it was all good. I talked to her for about 30 min. She and her kids were just enjoying some carmel apples... yum! She just went to the doctor this week and everything is going well. She has another appointment 11/21, then it is weekly appts from there. WOW. Final countdown... 6 weeks. She said she ate something sweet this past week and Ella went nuts. Looks like she has a sweet tooth, that's our girl!! I just hope she likes her sweets frozen : ) She said she has some recent pics to send us of the family. So, when she emails them, I will post some. It was great to hear from her! Nice to know she thinks of us as much as we think of her.
Next stop... Walmart where there was a flu shot clinic. We were advised by the pediatrician that we should get a flu shot. Neither of us had gotten them in the past, so we didn't know what to expect. It was pretty uneventful!! Hopefully, they will work!
So we just got home. I fed Gord and put him down for his afternoon nap. I think motherhood will come easily, as I have had some practice : ) (We have plans tonight and I don't need him cranky).
No comments:
Post a Comment